Know the stages of bunch development?
15 May 2017
Do you know the stages of oil palm bunch formation?
Here are some of the stages:
- Pre anthesis flower is enclosed in the spathe.
- At anthesis, flowers are creamy white in colour.
- Post anthesis, flowers are pinkish red in colour.
- ‘Clove bunches’ have spines but very small fruitlets
- ‘Coffee bunches’ have small fruitlets.
- Black bunches have expanded, black, shiny fruitlets.
- Unripe bunches have not shed ‘loose’ fruit but may have changed colour.
- Under ripe bunches have <10 loose fruit.
- Over ripe bunches have shed loose fruit over >50% of the bunch surface.
- Rotten bunches have shed most of their fruits.
- Empty bunches have shed all their fruit.